Capnutra activities are focused on:
- Sharing information on food, health and related nutritional challenges in the CEE and WB countries as identified by the Network participants.
- Identifying follow-up activities within food, health and nutritional challenges in order to facilitate the initiatives of the Network in the field of capacity development in the CEE and WB region.
- Identifying , supporting and occasionally runing specific capacity development activities such as on the use of the new WHO growth standard for children, Food and Nutrition Action Plan, epidemiology, policy development approaches, strategy development and implementation, and leadership.
- Sharing and discussing challenges in national developments of dietary guidelines for different population groups.
- Within the defined strategic framework identifying strategic elements to meet the capacity development plans of institutions and individuals in the region.
- Identifying externally funded research projects for network participants to engage in (such as EC and other regional and national funded research and development projects). This may be on issues such as non-communicable diseases, micro-nutrient deficiencies, implications of obesity (in children and adults), gene-nutrient interactions, and criteria for food and nutrition policy development (such as good governance, human rights approaches).
- Sharing experiences and plans for preventive actions against nutrition related diseases, and nutritional health promotion (this can be related to regional and global action plans such as WHO?s Global Strategy on Diet, Physical Activity and Health).
- Initiating a dialogue with relevant industries in the region on how to take nutritional considerations in developing, marketing and selling food and related products. In such cases take account of the ethical dimensions and challenges to the nutrition related industries.
- Sharing the results of the Network with colleagues in other parts of the world, in particular the other UNU/SCN Networks at the annual sessions of SCN (this includes also sharing of information through Internet, but establishing a home page for the Network).